Another RINGS Project at Holy Heart can be found on EARTH (Environmental
Awareness and Responsibility Team Homepage). It is a part of an ongoing
project for the Environmental Science Youth Internship program. Its aim
is to produce an online magazine to examine and exchange information
about local, regional, and national and worldwide environmental issues.
Using the Internet as a primary resource, students involved in this
program will communicate with others from across the globe, opening up
dialogues on the real story behind local environmental issues with global
significance. The web site production will allow effective reporting of
these contacts, while the web use will allow a more efficient, more
flexible and more natural means of information access.
- to make students aware of major global environmental problems, the
basic science behind them, their current status, and any progress make
toward the solution of these problems.
- to identify the problems associated with a local and global
environmental issue, worksite related.
- to enable students to clearly communicate their opinions, and the
information on which they are based, to others.
- to demonstrate a commitment to contributing to the solution of global
environmental problems and by actions, a commitment to contributing to
the solution of local environmental problems.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Environmental Science students, including those in the Environmental
- students in North West Territories already linked to the project.
- creation and maintenance of an online magazine dealing with
- production of environmental issue-based articles, online and for
- e-mail links with other similar student groups.
- creation and support of an advocacy program for the correction of a
local environmental problem.
- develop Web pages about their project using HTML and Netscape.
- use e-mail, FTP and newsgroups participation to provide online