Students from the two Grade Seven classes will collect news items from
within our school and post them bi-monthly on our stem-net Homepage.
Newspaper type articles will be included (complete with photgraphs of the
student(s) involved) that report on significant accomplishments of our
students and teachers. Some examples would include:
- Photos of school events.
- A photo of the Student of the Month along from each class along
with a brief description of the accomplishment that lead to the
student being so named.
This would give our school some exposure to other schools in the province
and elsewhere and hopefully would lead to some Internet correspondence
between our students and theirs. We are also hoping that when our students
log on to Stemnet and see the exposure that our "Students of the
Month" are getting, they too will be motivated to strive for
This exercise uses the "Writing Process" as outlined in our objectives for
Language Arts; i.e. prewriting, jot notes, first draft, editing and
publishing. The project also would encourage students to use the Internet
to get information. By accessing the Homepage to retrieve information on
their own school, students will lrarn to use the Internet and develop an
appreciation for technology.
According to "A Currculum Framework fo Technology Education", students in
the intermediate level will:
- use communication tools to access, evaluate an select
appropriate information and to create, modify and disseminate
- Students will learn to write publishable articles using the writing
- Students and teacheres will use communication technologies(computer and
the Internet" to communicate with other students and teachers.
- As per "A Curriculum Framework of Technology Education", students will
- use communication tools to access, evaluate and select
appropriate information and to create, modify and
This project could only be undertaken using the Stemnet School Internet
Connection. Other resources to be used in the project are
- Wordprocessor - including Spellcheck and
- Scanner - This was purchased for the project.
- The students directly involved in the project will learn the
proper techniques of reporting and creating publishable
- Students will become acquainted with the procedure for creating
and maintaining a Homepage.
- Our general student body will become motivated to strive for
excellenceafter seeing the publicity being given to the students of
the month, and to others who have achieved highly.
- Our student population will become more comfortable with using