Chris Van Allsburg is an author/illustrator who is familiar to many young
children. This project will enable children to become more familiar with
books written and illustrated by Chris Van Allsburg with special emphasis on
The Polar Express. Children will do a search on Chris Van Allsburg to find
background information about him and his books.
They will read the personal information found in his biography and locate
titles of books written and illustrated by him. They will become familiar
with using the net to search for relevant information on the topic provided as
well as recording the information.
Main Curriculum Areas:
- Language Arts
- Integration of several subject areas.
- Students directed learning.
- Integration of technology into the curriculum.
- Ensuring that the unit is grounded in provincial ILOs.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
- Use reading as a stimulus for writing or talking.
- Understand and use the language of writing. (Drafting, revising,
- Listen with appreciation to various literary forms.
- Create stories visually.
- Demonstrate basic competencies in art skills and techniques by
- Painting and creating characters from Van Allsburg's books.
- Demonstrate pride of craftsmanship in finished products.
- Develop a vocabulary of terminology and language related to the
selected communication technology.
- Conduct net searches.
- Download and/or print files.
The Stellar School Internet Connection will provide access to information that
would not be readily available using traditional means. Students will be able
to visit the Author Search Web Site and e-mail the author. Without the
Stellar School program our school will not have the finances necessary to
provide Internet access in the future.
- Students will become acquainted with and use e-mail.
- students will read books written and illustrated by Chris Van
Allsburg, concentration on The Polar Express, identifying favourite
characters and situations and giving reasons for preferences.
- Students will write stories which take them through the writing
- Students will illustrate stories demonstrating their art skills and
This project will allow students to become familiar with Chris Van Allsburg
and his many accomplishments.