This project is a continuance from one completed last year, with one addition,
this year students will collect data from field studies to complement their
The focus of this project will be to expose students to various geological
information as outlined by the grade eight science curriculum. For five weeks
students will explore and collect data from various geological web sites.
After this time of collecting data, students spent another week analyzing
their results. After analyzing their data students developed various slide
shows and web pages to present their data to their class. Should time allow,
students will develop a web site to host the various student's projects.
- Students will learn how to search for and collect information from
various sources on the Internet.
- Students will learn about and appreciate the rich geological
history of our planet.
- Students will learn how to organize their research findings.
- Students will learn how to decide the "good" information
sources from the "bad".
- Students will learn how to present their information using a HTML
editor, including the use of hypertext links in their documents.
- Students will learn how to publish and share their data using their
World Wide Web.
This project will meet course objectives in the following areas:
- Science - Geological studies
- Language Arts - research techniques and presentation of findings.
- Language Arts - presentations and communication to various
- Internet connection. Provided by Cable Atlantic and STEM~NET.
- Internet server to place WWW pages on. This can be provided on the
school's server or STEM~NET.
- Computer system capable of running WWW software. This will be
provided by Clarenville Middle School.
- HTML editors and browsers, for example HTMLed and Netscape 4.0.
- Development of good presentation and communication skills.
- Appreciation and understanding of various geological features, both
of Newfoundland and North America.
- Development of good research/searching techniques using the
- Appreciation for the effects of the Internet as a communication