Ann Penney - Grade 2/3 Teacher
P. O. Box 40
Tel: (709) 467-2685
Fax: (709) 467-4310
|Number of Students:
|Project Start and
9 - 23, 1998
Jan Brett is an author/illustrator who
is familiar to many young children. This project will
enable children to become more familiar with books
written and illustrated by Jan Brett, other books retold
and illustrated by her and those books that she
illustrated only. Children will access the Web Site for
Jan Brett and use her home page to find biographical
information. The children will familiarize themselves
with the characters and events in her books, this further
developing their reading, writing and listening skills.
Main Curriculum Areas:
- Language Arts
- Integration of several subject
- Student directed learning.
- Integration of technology into the
- Ensuring that the unit is grounded
in provincial ILOs.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
- Use reading as a stimulus for
writing or talking.
- Understand and use the language of
writing. (Drafting, revising, publishing).
- Listen with appreciation to
various literary forms.
- Create stories visually.
- Demonstrate basic competencies in
art skills and techniques by drawing, painting
and creating characters from Jan Bretts
- Demonstrate pride of craftsmanship
in finished products.
- Develop a vacabulary of termilogy
and language related to the selected
- Conduct net searches.
- Download and/or print files.
The Stellar School Internet Connection
will provide access to information that would not be
readily available using traditional means. Students will
be able to visit Jan Brett Web Site and e-mail the
author. Wothout the Stellar School program our school
will not have the finances necessary to provide internet
access in the future.
- Students will become acquainted
with and use e-mail.
- Students will read books written
and illustrated by Jan Brett and those simply
illustrated by her, identifying favourite
characters and giving reasons for preferences.
- Students will write stories which
take them through the writing process.
- Students will illustrate stories
demonstrating their art skills and techniques.
This project will allow students to
become more comfortable with using the Internet while
becoming familiar with the many works of Jan Brett.