||Barry Pack -
Computer Studies Teacher
White - Language Arts
Tel: (709) 469-2263/2265
|Project Start and
||November, 1997 -
Students from the two Grade Seven classes will collect
news items from within our school and post them
bi-monthly on our stem-net Homepage. Newspaper type
articles will be included (complete with photographs of
the student(s) involved) that report on significant
accomplishments of our students and teachers. Some
examples would include:
- An article on our Grade Seven student who
recently won the Junior Speak-off.
- Photos from our Christmas Concert.
- A photo of the Student of the Month along from
each class along with a brief description of the
accomplishment that lead to the student being so
This would give our school some exposure to other
schools in the province and elsewhere and hopefully would
lead to some Internet correspondence between our students
and theirs. We are also hoping that when our students log
on to STEM~Net and see the exposure that our
"Students of the Month" are getting, they too
will be motivated to strive for excellence.
This exercise uses the "Writing Process" as
outlined in our objectives for Language Arts; i.e.
prewriting, jot notes, first draft, editing and
publishing. The project also would encourage students to
use the Internet to get information. By accessing the
Homepage to retrieve information on their own school,
students will learn to use the Internet and develop an
appreciation for technology.
According to "A Curriculum Framework for
Technology Education", students in the intermediate
- use communication tools to access, evaluate and
select appropriate information and to create,
modify and disseminate information.
- Students will learn to write publishable articles
using the writing stages.
- Students and teachers will use communication
technologies(computer and the Internet" to
communicate with other students and teachers.
- As per "A Curriculum Framework of Technology
Education", students will:
- Use communication tools to access,
evaluate and select appropriate
information and to create, modify and
This project could only be undertaken using the
STEM~Net School Internet Connection. Other resources to
be used in the project are:
- Wordprocessor - including Spellchecker and
- Scanner - This was purchased for the project.
- The students directly involved in the project
will learn the proper techniques of reporting and
creating publishable writing.
- Students will become acquainted with the
procedure for creating and maintaining a
- Our general student body will become motivated to
strive for excellence after seeing the
publicity being given to the students of the
month, and to others who have achieved highly.
- Our student population will become more
comfortable with using the Internet.