P.O. Box 8
Tel: (709) 467-2785
|Number of Students:
|Project Start and
||December 1 -
December 18, 1997
Students in the Grade 5/6 Enrichment Group will find
out about Christmas and New Year traditions and customs
around the world. Using the Internet as a primary
resource, students will gather, retrieve and organize
information about a particular country, and create a
booklet entitled "Christmas Around the World".
They will also be expected to build a bulletin board
display to illustrate their findings.
This project addresses many of the Outcomes in
This project addresses the outcomes in Writing:
- To understand and engage in the three broad
functions of writing:
- write to inform (report)
- write to reflect on and organize learning
- write to express . . . the ideas,
thoughts and experiences of others
- Write for a general audience
- Independently engage in the stages of a writing
process (pre-writing, drafting, revising,
editing, and publishing)
This project addresses the outcomes in Reading:
- Read with skill and understanding
- Read to find and use information
This project addresses the outcomes in Viewing:
- Recognize the choice students make for their
viewing and the reasons for viewing
- Show interest in a broad range of forms
of visuals - illustrations, photographs,
- View visual (instructional material) both
inside and outside of class
- Decode with increasing skill (make sense of
This project addresses the outcomes in
- Value visuals as a way to present meaning:
- Select and create visuals to present
meaning - use visuals to give information
- Carry out many tasks in visual representing:
- Construct and convey meaning through an
increasing variety of visual
representations - use diagrams, or
This project promotes the use of an electronic search
via the Internet to facilitate the selection of relevant
information. Students will use technology available -
Corel Word Perfect - to help create, revise, edit and
publish texts. Many students in this class have never
been exposed to the Internet and it is hoped that
students will develop an appreciation for the changing
world and the technology that allows one to so easily
retrieve needed information.
The Stellar Schools Internet connection is vital to
the success of our project in order to obtain the needed
information, and relevant photographs and illustrations.
It will provide information that would not be readily
available using traditional means.
- Use the writing process in order to create a
report about Christmas Around the World.
- Build a bulletin board display to illustrate
- Use the Internet in order to access, and select
appropriate information for their report.
- Use the word processor in order to publish final
copy of report.
- Become excited and familiar with this new
technology (use of the Internet) and the
value it has throughout the curriculum areas.