Project 3: "Cabot Connections"
|Lead Teachers:||Gary Driscoll|
|School:||Donald C. Jamieson Academy|
P.O. Box 160
Burin Bay Arm, NF
|Grade Level:||Grade 5|
|Number of Students:||72. All students in Grade 5 will become involved in this project.|
|Project Start and Finish Dates:||January - June 1997|
Since 1997 is Newfoundland's 500 year celebration of Cabot's voyage of discovery, we felt it would be beneficial for our students to communicate with students in or around Bristol, England.
Through the use of the Internet, students could share information with each other. Since Donald C. Jamieson Academy is a global school, it would be a great way to enhance this concept.
- Language Arts: Students writing letters about their own communities and interpreting information received from their counterparts.
- Social Studies: Comparing and contrasting communities in Newfoundland to that of Bristol, England.
- Computer Skills:
- Students will learn how to correspond through e-mail thus further developing their skills of Keyboarding.
- Surfing the Net, students will learn more about other communities around the world.
- Understanding of our lives changing as a result of increased technology.
- Students will develop an appreciation of the contribution historians have made to our heritage and culture.
- Students will have an understanding of how the past directly influences the present.
The Stellar Schools Internet Connection is essential to our project. Access to the Internet in our school is currently restricted to one computer. The inclusion of Donald C. Jamieson to the project will further enhance each student in Grade Five to become Internet literate.