Project 2: Gander River Project
|Lead Teacher:||Mr. Edgar Lee|
P.O. Box 10
|Grade Level:||Grade 5|
|Number of Students||18|
|Project Start and Finish Dates:||Feb. 24th,1997 - May 31th, 1997|
Grade five students at Lakewood Academy in Glenwood will join
Project Rivers through the internet. Their goal is to study
sections of The Gander River below and above the towns of
Glenwood and Appleton. With assistance from The Department of
Fisheries, Department of Health, Gander River Management
Authority, Gander River Tours, Glen Eagles River Tours, Town of
Glenwood, Town of Appleton, Micmac Band Council and Lakewood
Academy the students will collect scientific, historical, and
- Students will learn how to collect scientific, historical,
and economic data in a real world setting.
- Students will learn to publish their data using World Wide
Web (WWW) as their platform.
- Students will gain an appreciation for our waterways and the
need to keep them clean.
- Internet connection. Provided by Cable Atlantic and Stemnet.
- Either Internet Server or School's Server or Stemnet.
- All associated computer hardware, scanners, digital camera,
video camera, printers provided by Lakewood Academy.
- Collecting instruments provided by Lakewood Academy, Gander
River Management Authority, Department of Fisheries and
Department of Health Services.
This project meets course objectives in
- the students will demonstrate a knowledge of the basic
communication principles of encoding /decoding/
transmitting /receiving /storing /retrieving of data as
they explore a variety of media.
- Method # 1. The students will complete an experimental
project which will allow them to collect and interpret
data such as the temperature, PH, biotic content,
historical uses, and current and future economical uses
of The Gander River.
- The students will publish reports, graphs, charts,
pictures and communicate with others through their home
- The students will develop social/group skills;
map/globe skills; table, graph and chart skills;
research skills; and language skills.
- The students will study the interdependence of people
at a provincial, national, and global level.
- The students will study how people interact with their
physical environment and with each other.
The Gander River Project will provide a vehicle for
integration of units of study in a variety of curriculum.
Evaluation will culminate with the publishing of a web page
which will empower the students with the ability to exchange
information with the rest of the world.
The students will also provide Lakewood Academy, the town of
Appleton and the town of Glenwood with a current ph and
biotic content profile of the Gander River above and below
the sewer treatment plants.
The students will correspond with Gander River Tours, Glen
Eagle Tours and The Gander River Management Authority to
produce an economic profile of The Gander River.
The students will correspond with the Micmac Band Council to
produce a historical profile of the Gander River.