Project 2: World Cultures
384 Grenfell Heights
Grand Falls-Windsor, NF
|Grade Level:||Grade 8|
|Number of Students:||20-25|
|Project Start and Finish Dates:||March 1997 - June 1997|
Although Canadians share a common canadian identity, Canada is a multicultural country. These cultures range from those
of our own native peoples (first nations, Innuit, Innu) to those who have immigrated here from other countries. They
have kept their cultural identity by keeping those things from their culture that are important to them.
Students will communicate with students of other ethnic origins both here in Canada and in other countries via E-mail/Internet.
They will prepare questions which will enable them to gather information from them about their customs etc. They will then
categorize this information accordingly.
- The grade 8 Social Studies text book. Exploring World Cultures Looks at many different countries around the
world. It explores many of the things that help to define a cultures identity(religion, food, art, music, clothing, etc.).
The student will get first hand accounts of these things from other students around the world. This information will then be collected and categorized accordingly.
- Writing reports
The technology learning outcomes directly resulting from this project are:
- development of a vocabulary of terminology and language related to communication technology
- use of communication technology to build new knowledge from existing information
- an understanding of on-line communications and its limitations
- identify ways in which information and communication technologies are used
- use communication technologies to collaborate with students at a distance to gain an understanding of their cultural heritage
- Students will learn traditional cultural customs of numerous cultures around the world.
- Students will learn how to communicate with immigrant students in Canada using on line communications.
- Students will learn how to communicate with other students in their home countries using on line communications.
- Students will learn how to gather and categorize information and put it in the form of a report.
Students will avail of the internet access provided by the STELLAR Schools Internet connection to make this project
possible . Also, using the internet connection, a number of HTML editors and graphics conversion programs will be
examined and the most appropriate ones will be used in the home page design work.
Also books on HTML will be another source of information and a digital camera will enable students to take appropriate
pictures of themselves and various aspects of their community and the school to be incorporated into their work.