Project 3: People and Resources
||Darrell Stacey -
Computer Resource/Grade Three
1 Canning's Lane
Bishop's Falls, NF
||Grade Five Students
|Project Start and
||March - May, 1998
Using various search engines on the Internet, students
will be responsible to research provincially owned and
operated businesses that promote themselves through the
Internet. Newfoundland is quickly moving away from the
traditional fishery and forestry type occupations, into
more technology based operations. The students will
gather information about each company, and the products
or services it provides, where it is located, and how it
was established. For the most part, business URL's will
have E-mail addresses attached, therefore this will
provide first hand research for the students to find
items of information. They will record all information,
and publish a report using a word processing program.
Once a project is complete, the group responsible for
representing each company will present and display what
they found. Each group will be responsible to promote
business for their "Internet Discovery". This
will all be shared and used as a theme study of local
resources in our province.
- This project relates mainly to the Social Studies
program in grade 5, which focuses on our
province, Newfoundland and Labrador. It will also
enrich the Reading/Writing/Viewing components of
the Language Arts program and help reinforce the
objectives of the Technology Education program at
the Elementary Grades.
- This project will provide many opportunities for
thinking, observing, listening, investigating,
inquiring, talking, reading and writing as the
students learn more about our province and come
to appreciate our valuable human resources.
- This project will demonstrate the inventiveness,
resourcefulness, initiative, self-sufficiency and
optimism of those who are investigating in the
future of our provinces, and the possibilities
which exist for them.
- Students will develop a faith in our province's
future and pride in our accomplishment.
- Students will gain knowledge and appreciation of
our human resources, and the resources of our
land and sea.
- Students will gain knowledge of how geographic
features influence living in various regions of
the province and how technology has created
possibilities, which may not have existed in the
- Students will develop a positive view of
Newfoundland and Labrador, and its place in
Canada and the world.
- Students will gain knowledge of Newfoundland's
entrepreneurs and companies, and economic
possibilities of the future.
- To help students acquire the language skills of
reading, writing, viewing, reporting orally, and
- To help students compose appropriate e-mail
messages and learn about online communication.
- To help students realize that language,
especially reading and writing, is a tool of
learning as well as a medium of communication.
- To help students learn the basics of
communication - principles of encoding/decoding,
transmitting/receiving, and the role that
- To help students develop a vocabulary of the
terminology and language used in the
communication technology associated with
e-mailing and using the Internet.
- To help students send and receive e-mail
- To help students develop an appreciation of the
value of the World Wide Web as a source of
information and use a browser to explore and
utilize this resource.
- To help students use an appropriate search engine
for this project.
The students will be actively involved in this
project. They will use the resources of the World Wide
Web and electronic mail to conduct their research. Each
student will contribute to the project. Students will be
expected to report their findings to the class through
oral presentations and online home pages. This will
require the use of a word processing program to produce a
final report and the use of a HTML language to produce a
- demonstrate a knowledge of using a World Wide Web
browser, such as Netscape, to search the
resources of the Internet.
- demonstrate a knowledge of sending and receiving
e-mail using appropriate software.
- demonstrate a knowledge of various search
engines, such as Alta Vista, to locate
- demonstrate a knowledge of how the resources of
the Internet are related to the "real"