Project Friends was designed to introduce primary and
elementary students to the possibilities of
telecommunication through meaningful curriculum based
In this project, students explore the possibilities
for making and keeping friends. For the month of April we
are trying to set up penpal relationships with other
schools. Through e-mail connections students will
communicate between classes and individuals, for example,
class letters, and reports.
Main Curriculum Areas
This project allows teachers to cover objectives in:
- Social Studies
- Language Arts
School Curriculum Plans
This project fits with three of our School's
Improvement Goals for 1997 - 98:
- To increase the integration of computers into all
- To improve Language skills by emphasizing it
throughout all curriculum areas.
- To motivate students to create a "well
rounded" learning environment.
*Project Friends does indeed contribute to the
attainment of these goals.
Provincial Curriculum Objectives
- Students will be encouraged in the use of
telecommunications technology in education.
- Students will develop map skills, in relation to
where friends live.
- This project will contribute to the development
of reading and writing skills, as students write
letters, write poetry, personal descriptions and
do basic research in the area of friendship.
- Bar graphs and table constructions that will
reflect interest, hobbies, family size, pets,
- Children will share science information, for
example, on plants and animal life, trees, nature
walks, etc., of their respective regions.
- Through the development of a wide range of
friendships children will become more aware of
the need for recognizing and accepting
differences among people and cultures.
- Children's drawings may be scanned and
Technology Education Objectives
- To identify, and use information and
communication tools in daily use at home and in
- Use communication techniques to build more
knowledge from gathered or existing information.
- Use communication tools to access, evaluate and
select appropriate information and to create,
modify and learn new information.
- Collaborate with distant students and teachers on
control project "Friends".
*These intended learning outcomes are addressed by
How will Stellar Schools Internet Connection
This project needs Internet time. The project will be
more meaningful and informative with the Stellar Schools
- Math, Science, Health, Language Arts, and
- CD ROM
- Be able to read and chart friend information on
bar graphs, pictographs and line graphs.
- Be able to use computers to write and send
information on friends and their communities by
- Be able to collect and analyze data on friends.
Students will have their first experience with the
Internet. They will be highly motivated by the technology
to obtain many of their Science, Math, Social Studies and