Project Spiders was designed to introduce students to
the possibilities of using the Internet through a
meaningful curriculum base inquiry, related to gathering
data and organizing it into purposeful activities. For
one month we will take 27 students and browse the net for
information on spiders. Students can study, read, write,
research, illustrate, collect and create spiders.
Main Curriculum Areas
This project allows teachers to cover objectives in:
- Social Studies
- Language Arts
School Curriculum Plans
This project fits with three of our School's
Improvement Goals for 1997 - 98:
- To increase the integration of computers into all
- To improve Language skills by emphasizing it
throughout all curriculum areas.
- To motivate students to create a "well
rounded" learning environment.
*Project Spider does indeed contribute to the
attainment of these goals.
Provincial Curriculum Objectives:
- Students will observe, collect, record and share
scientific data on the characteristics of
spiders. This project allows for the introduction
of basic statistical analysis, graphing and
charting of data. For example, the different
kinds of food spiders like, favorite spiders,
poisonous/non-poisonous, kinds students have seen
or not seen.
- Students will be encouraged in the use of the
Internet technology in education.
- Students will develop map skills in relation to
where different kinds of spiders are found. As
students locate the specific information from
various locations around the world, they will
cover this objective.
- This project will contribute to the development
of reading and writing skills as students read
and write descriptions, poetry, and do basic
research on spiders.
Technology Education Objectives:
- To identify, and use information and
communication tools in daily use at home and in
- Use communication techniques to build more
knowledge from gathered or existing information.
- Use communication tools to access, evaluate and
select appropriate information and to create,
modify and learn new information.
*These intended learning outcomes are addressed by
How will Stellar Schools Internet Connection
It is a valuable research tool. We'll have six
computers which students can use to browse the Internet
for information various kinds of spiders.
- Math, Science, and Language arts
- Students will be able to read and chart spider
information on bar graphs, pictographs and line
- Students will be able to collect and analyze data
Students will have their first experience with the
Internet. They will be highly motivated by the technology
to obtain many of their Science, Math, Social Studies and