Tel: (709) 995-2940
Fax: (709) 995-2920
||Grade 12, Global
|Number of Students:
|Project Start and
||Jan 15 to Feb 12
This project provides students with the opportunity to
focus on one specific region of the world for
comprehensive study in the areas of the environment,
economic development and human rights. Each group will
then report back to the class at large and to other
groups, such as, Social Studies V111, and Environmental
studies, etc. with the intend of creating an awareness of
how these areas are interrelated. This should provide
students with the opportunity to develop understandings
of the challenges facing nations and regions with the
focus on proposing possible solutions to the crisis' that
face the globe. It should create an awareness that global
cooperation is essential to the long term health of the
This project will allow students to access varied
sources from around the world with the objective of
providing critical analysis of the issues presented. The
access to sources from other countries should provide a
more balanced view of the causes of problems, the
designation of blame and the optional of proposed
- Access web sites to gather information form
various papers and journals that may not
represent western views.
- Use the computer to gather information about
economic development, environmental issues and
the status of human rights. in various regions of
- Evaluate source and information gathered.
- Access the use of technology in cresting global
awareness of issues.
- Access the use of technology in the development
of strategies to address global issues.
- Use electronic mail to contact other students
involved in similar courses for the purpose of
sharing information and developing strategies.
- Students will prepare an oral report for class
and present a written report based on sources
gathered. This report will be made available as a
resource area for future classes.
- MacLean's Magazine, Time Globe and Mail, Western
Star, CBC and NTV news.
- The Global Community
- World Issues
- World Prospects
- World Atlas
- Giai Atlas
- Earth Matters
- Ammesty Internal Binder
- World Issues Binder
- Be able to categorize events under the headings,
politics, economics, Human Rights Issues,
- Identify the Canadian Reaction to events.
- Analyze the events and discuss their global
- Maintain a weekly journal of events.
- Develop a use for the Internet.
- Develop a use e-mail.
- Develop a working command of the vocabulary
associated with communication technology via the
computer and Internet.
- Demonstrate a use of the Internet and computer
for the purpose of researching, collecting and
presenting information in the areas outlines.
Students will be evaluated based upon the
sources assessed, information gathered, analysis and
synthesis of the information and the conclusions reached
and solutions suggested:
The students will be evacuated on
the quality of the presentation 20% to be
determined based on the demonstration use of the
technology made available.
Evaluation will reflect the
language fluency and creative presentation of the
information and conclusions reached.