Maureen Fatkin - Assistant Principal/Multiage Class
Bridgitte White - Grade Six/Core French 3 - 6
Bernadette Mc Cormack - Grade Five
Tony Griffen - Grade Four
St. Gerard's Elementary
15 Montgomerie Street
Corner Brook, NF
Number of Students:
Project Start and Finish Dates:
January - June/97
Each individual classroom teacher will be working at a computer housed in their own classroom as our school does not have the services of a Resource Teacher. Therefore, each teacher has chosen specific curriculum areas in which to conduct individual/class projects.
In our Grade 4 Social Studies we not only study our own communtiy, Corner Brook but also other communities in other parts of Canada and the world.
- Nain, Labrador
- Edmonton, Alberta
- A Rainforest Village in Zaire, Africa
- A Desert in Saudi Arabia
- A Fjord Village in Norway
- A Grassland Farm, Australia
- A River Plain Village, India
- A Polder city, The Netherlands
As we "visit" these communities all over the world I hope that my students will develop a respect for and an appreciation for various cultures.
Through the Internet I hope to link my students to an elementary school in each area that we visit this year. Hopefully the Internet will help my students:
- discover various cultures
- realize the cost of such necessities as: food, clothing, shelter, electricity, gasoline & transportation
- compare the cost of these necessities in the various communities
- note where the different communities are located and realize that location affects climate
- realize how the cultures are changing and infer what the future has in store for the people that live there
The Internet will also allow us to share information about Corner Brook with the people that live in communities all over the world (if they request it.)
My students are very anxious to learn via the Internet!