Project 1: Writers' Network
||Malcolm Robertson -
Grade 5/Special Needs Teacher
Reader - Primary Special Needs Teacher
||Pasadena Elementary (Holy Rosary School)
||Grades 1 - 6
||It will be open to
any students in any class who wish to post their
original writing to one of the Writers' Network
three student newsgroups.
|Project Start and
||February 1 - June 1.
This project will be ongoing for the rest of this
This project will help foster excellence in student
writing throughout the school, linking the students with
other communities in the province to develop computer
literacy and critical thinking skills.
This project will be used in conjunction with the
primary and elementary language arts curriculum as one
way of editing and publishing children's own written
work. They will get feedback on a variety of topics
covered in the curriculum, as well as use different
methods of writing i.e. letter writing, poetry,
storywriting, note-taking, etc.
- Participation in an on-line peer editing program.
- Exchange of ideas and opinions among
- Production of wide variety of student writing
across genres, grade levels and locales.
- Creation of classroom and school environments
that will motivate and encourage children to use
and produce language.
- Development of students' creative and critical
These learning outcomes will tie in with the
provincial language arts curriculum outcomes some of
- Students will be able to select, read, and view
with understanding a range of literature,
information, media and visual texts.
- Students will be able to interpret, select and
combine information using a variety of
strategies, resources, and technologies.
- Students will respond critically to a range of
texts applying their understanding of language,
form, and genre.
- Students will be able to post own writings to the
newsgroups of the Writer's Network.
- Students will use the Writer's Network Homepage
to read and respond to articles that have been
posted by other students around the province.
- Students will be able to read their own posted
articles and report at the appropriate Writers'
Network newsgroup a final version based on
- Students will prepare graphic images to accompany
articles that are selected for Windows:
Newfoundland and Labrador's Young Writers.
- Students will make use of word processing