Project 1: Employability
|Lead Teacher(s):||Todd Osmond
Dave OKeefe (Technology Education)
|School:||St. John Bosco
P.O. Box 150, Shea Heights
St. John's, NF
Tel: (709) 753-8850
|Grade Level:||Level I to Level III|
|Number of Students:||120|
|Project Start and Finish Dates:||Ongoing|
St. John Bosco school is currently in the process of developing Employability Skills Profiles (Portfolios) for students from Level I to Level III. The primary purpose of the program is to help students become aware of and develop the skills needed to compete in the global economy. The following components are included in the portfolio. It is important to note that the following list is a sample of the activities/experiences included in the portfolio. The portfolio can be highly diverse as it develops over the course of a students high school career.
- Exploration of Occupational Clusters.
- Completion of Career Interest Checklist(s)... updated each year.
- Completion of seminar on High School course selection and its relationship to Post- Secondary Institutions and Occupational Clusters.
- Retrieval of detailed reports about occupational clusters and related occupations via Internet sites and Computerized Guidance Software (CHOICES 97).
- Electronic Cover Letter and Resume Writing (Posting to Web Site). This will be available for those students completing Advanced Keyboarding 2101.
- Job Shadowing.
- Employability Skills checklists and development via CHOICES 97.
- Correspondence with post-secondary institutions via EMAIL.
- Exploration of local and global job market databases via the Internet.
- Cover letter and Resume writing.
The main curriculum areas addressed by this project include the objectives stated for Career Education 3101, Advanced Word Processing/Desktop Publishing 2101, and Co-operative Education.The project fits in with the overall Career Development goal for our school which is to have every student from Level I to Level III complete a Employability Skills Portfolio before they graduate from High School.
< Technology Education Learning Outcomes
A variety of resources will be utilized to meet the goal and objectives of this project. However, the primary resource will be the Internet connection. The multitude of sites and databases that are currently available will enable students to access up-to-date information. In turn, students will be able to meet the objectives of the Career Development Program. Other resources utilized by this project include the CHOICES 97 software (Networked Version).
The project will be evaluated based on the number of students who complete their Employability Skills Portfolio. Within each portfolio, students will have to complete a number of activities and experiences to fulfill the requirements for portfolio completion. A computerized TO-DO LIST has been utilized as a means of tracking and evaluating portfolio activities/experiences.