To complete a class project of the information gathered
and to create a web page.
This project will include many areas of the curriculum.
- Language Arts:
- Island Hopping
- Tales From Far Awayland
- Social Studies:
- A Journey of Discovery
- St. Johnís
- Map and Globe skills
- Definition of Island
- Problem solving
- creating and solving problems related to the information gathered
- To connect musical understanding to social and cultural contexts
- Students will gain specific knowledge of school life in Japan.
- length of school day
- length of school year
- subjects taught
- how many students in class/ teachers
- how students get to school etc.
- Students will record information from the assigned Japanese school.
- Students will compare and contrast the information gathered.
- Students will locate Japan on a world map.
- Students will compose questions to find information.
- Students will learn computer skills and become familiar with the Internet.
- Students will use language skills to communicate information to Japanese partners.
- Students will appreciate Music from a Japanese culture.
- Students will create and solve problems related to information gathered.
In previous years to achieve the goals outlined in teaching the unit on Japan, we have used a variety of resources, such as videos,
films, recommended text, special guests, library resource books, a Japanese day in class, Japanese meal and display of Japanese items
brought along by students and other people in our community. These resources will continue to be used but this project proposal will add
greatly to the knowledge and understanding of Japanese life.
Student evaluation will be ongoing throughout this project through teacher observation of students participating using this checklist.
Student Evaluation Checklist
Name: _____________________ Date:____________________
_____ is acquiring knowledge of school life in Japan.
a. length of school day
b. length of school year
c. subjects taught
d. how many students in class/ teachers
e. how students get to school etc
_____ is learning how to record information from the assigned
_____ is learning how to compare the information gathered as it
compares to their own school.
_____ is able to locate Japan on a world map.
_____ is learning to compose appropriate questions to glean
_____ is learning computer skills and become familiar with Internet.
_____ is using language skills to communicate information to
_____ is able to sing a Japanese song and play a Japanese game.
_____ is able to make Japanese symbols from 0-9.
_____ is able to solve simple Math problems using Japanese symbols.