Project 3: Online Research
Twenty-four students at Goose High School will be
involved in various research projects as part of the
course requirements for STS 2206. The students will do
research on the topic of Space Technology which has been
divided into subtopics.
- Exploring Space
- Past exploration flights
- Current exploration activity
- Future exploration projects
- Getting into Space
- Astronaut training
- Physics/Chemistry of Flight
- Earth-Orbit Satellites
- Monitoring of Earth-Orbit
- Space Probes and Space Stations
- Living and Working in Space
- The Present and Future Impacts of Space
- For the remainder of this academic year, students
in STS 2202 will work on various research
projects dealing with Space Technology. Students
will make class presentations and submit written
reports or slide shows.
- The project will provide for skill development in
research techniques as students are challenged to
access and select the material they use.
- Students will use word-processing programs to
prepare their written reports.
- Students may use Corel Presentations to create a
slide show of their work.
- Students will develop an organized report or
presentation which will form a component of their
total mark for the course.
- Students will use other programs and tools in
their research (Scanner, Choices, Encarta, etc.)
- Environmental Science 3205
- Geology 3203
- Physics 2204
- Language 2101
- Technology Education
- Social Studies
- Career Education
- To use the Internet as a learning tool to
research new information.
- To develop skills in using computer technology in
research and educational presentations.
- To use a variety of sources to validate and
determine the accuracy of information.
- To compare the various technologies as learning
tools, by identifying the advantages and
disadvantages of each.
The 24 students will use the computer lab (17
computers) to research the project and complete their
written reports and/or slide shows. The file server and
networking will allow the students to share common
software and have access to the Internet.
The student will incorporate their online research
findings into their research papers and presentations.
Their research papers will include selected material
accessed through the Internet and software programs and
organized for classroom presentation and instruction.
The students learn to collaborate and combine
individual research into a group project.
The students will list the research strategies that
they developed while using the Internet and they will
share these strategies with their fellow students.